Do you find you tend to feel empty? Do your emotions sometimes lead to a strong reaction? Do you wish you had the techniques to work with your emotions and step into greater feelings of wholeness?
If you answered yes to any of the above, you may want to explore Emotion-Focused Therapy or EFT.
EFT is an evidence-based approach to therapy treatment based on the belief that our emotions are a key to our identity and a guide for decision making. When we lack awareness of our emotions or avoid unpleasant emotions, we are unable to use the information provided by these emotions.
EFT helps individuals to:
- Become more aware of their emotions
- Welcome, allow and regulate emotions
- Describe emotions clearly and in detail
- Understand what your emotions are trying to tell you about yourself and your needs/wants
- Identify the source of difficult emotions
- Develop alternative, healthy ways of coping with situations that often elicit hurtful emotions
- Work through anxiety/depression/trauma
Unlike some other therapeutic approaches, EFT assumes that emotion can be a source of healing and works with specific emotions to increase adaptation.
If you are seeking help identifying and processing your emotions, I encourage you to book a session. Together, we’ll work on increasing awareness of emotions, exploring how to understand your feelings, and using healthy emotions to guide action.