Smart Therapy’s approach in working with dreams in the context of improving mental health is based on a couple assumptions that fall into the psychodynamic and depth therapy realm:
(1) We have an unconscious aka subconscious, and “making conscious what is unconscious” can greatly help in relieving individuals of symptoms related to mental health conditions
(2) Dreams contain a lot of material from the unconscious that can give us insight into our feelings, needs, and experiences, as well as point to personal strengths and internal resources to turn to
Dream work involves the client bringing a dream to the session to explore, and the therapist and client together exploring the meaningful content in the dream.
The patient sharing their dream with the therapist has been shown to help:
- Increase the self-awareness of the patient
- Realize their ability to make self-initiated decisions
- Diminish feelings of helplessness regarding their current life situation